In this article, we shall take a quick look at some Great Gatsby essay topics. Also, you shall find them impressive.
Some Great Gatsby Essay Topics
Below are some of the Great Gatsby essay topics:
- Analyze Fitzgerald’s conception of the American Dream. Does he view it as totally dead, or is it possible to revive it?
- Is Nick a reliable narrator?
- Trace the use of the color white in the novel. When does it falsify a sense of innocence? And when does it symbolize true innocence?
- Do a close reading of the description of the “valley of ashes”. And how does Fitzgerald use religious imagery in this section of the novel?
- What does the green light symbolize to Gatsby?
- How does Fitzgerald juxtapose the different regions of America? Does he write more positively about the East or the Midwest?
- What is the distinction between East and West Egg? And how does one bridge the gap between the two?
- In what ways are Wilson and Gatsby similar? And who is Nick more sympathetic to?
- How does Fitzgerald treat New York City? And what is permissible in the urban space that is taboo on the Eggs?
- Is Tom most responsible for Gatsby’s death? Daisy? Myrtle? Gatsby himself?
- In what sense is The Great Gatsby an autobiographical novel? Does Fitzgerald write more of himself into the character of Nick or the character of Gatsby, or are the author’s qualities found in both characters?
More Great Gatsby Essay Topics
Below are more Great Gatsby essay topics:
- How does Gatsby represent the American dream?
- Compare and contrast Gatsby and Tom. And how are they alike? How are they different?
High School Essay Topics for the Great Gatsby
- Describe the representation of money and its influence in the book.
- Compare and contrast the main female characters in the book.
- Contrast and Compare the main male characters in the book.
- What is the most favorable character in The Great Gatsby?
- Can the ending be considered expectable? Just?
- What is the least favorable character in The Great Gatsby?
- The concept of disillusionment in The Great Gatsby.
- Concept of broken hopes in Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby.
- What part does Nick really play in the story?
- The representation of the rich in the novel.
- Representation of the poor in the novel
- The role of the invisible middle class in The Great Gatsby
- Happiness in the book: can any of the characters be considered happy?
- Who is the loneliest character in The Great Gatsby? Prove your point.
- How does the author describe the concept of isolation?
- Is Nick a part of the rich society? Poor people? Middle class? Justify your choice.
- The concept of social injustice in Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby
Argumentative Essay Topics for The Great Gatsby
Below are some argumentative Great Gatsby essay topics:
- The real meaning of ‘great’ in the title of the novel
- Who is the real hero in Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby?
- What does the storyline really tell us about American identity?
- Can Gatsby be considered a romantic hero? A villain?
- Can the novel be considered a satirical representation of society?
- What is the significance of the Jazz Epoch setting in the novel?
- Can Gatsby’s feelings for Daisy be considered love?
- Does love play any part in The Great Gatsby?
- Jimmy Gatz vs. Jay Gatsby: who is the real character in the novel?
- What does Gatsby really live for: the past or the present?
- Does carelessness stand for dissatisfaction in the novel?
- Can we really blame anyone for Gatsby’s death?
- Are there any moral characters in The Great Gatsby?
- Fidelity and infidelity in Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby
- What part does sex play in the narration? Love? Affection?
- Is Fitzgerald really criticizing the notion of the American Dream?
Literary Analysis Topics
- Analyze the way Fitzgerald uses imagery to convey his ideas.
- What is the metaphorical meaning of color in the novel?
- Modernism in the Great Gatsby.
- The symbolic meaning of Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby.
- Analyze how the author conveys a notion of the American Dream through symbols and metaphors.
- The green light in Daisy’s window: what does it represent?
- What part does alcohol play in Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby?
- The metaphorical meaning of the Valley of Ashes
- How does the author manage to align the storyline and the symbolism used in the narration?
- Discuss female characters and their significance in the novel.
More Literary Analysis Topics
- The role a New York setting plays in the storyline.
- What is the hidden meaning of the novel’s title?
- How do secondary characters add up to the storyline?
- What are the central themes in The Great Gatsby?
- A critical comparison of the movie and the novel
- What role does money play in Fitzgerald’s novel?
- What is the meaning of time in the novel?