When applying for Russian Studies through the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) in Nigeria, it’s crucial to note that the specific subjects you choose can impact your eligibility for this program.
Russian has over 258 million total speakers worldwide,] and is the most spoken Slavic language, the most spoken native language in Europe, as well as the most geographically widespread language in Eurasia. Large numbers of Russian speakers are residents of other countries, such as Israel and Mongolia. It is the world’s seventh-most spoken language by number of native speakers, and the world’s eighth-most spoken language by total number of speakers. Russian is also the second-most widespread language on the Internet, after English.
Russian is written using the Cyrillic script; it distinguishes between consonant phonemes with palatal secondary articulation and those without—the so-called “soft” and “hard” sounds. Almost every consonant has a hard or soft counterpart, and the distinction is a prominent feature of the language. Another important aspect is the reduction of unstressed vowels. Stress, which is unpredictable, is not normally indicated orthographically, though an optional acute accent may be used to mark stress, such as to distinguish between homographic words, e.g. замо́к (zamók – a ‘lock’) and за́мок (zámok – a ‘castle’), or to indicate the proper pronunciation of uncommon words or names.
The Bachelor’s Degree in Russian is competitive. Knowing the prerequisites will enable you have seamless registration and also avoid unnecessary mistakes.
This page provides the following:
- Russian O’Level Subjects and Requirements;
- Russian Direct Entry Subject and Requirements;
- Russian UTME Subjects Combination;
- And other useful information that will enable you to make the right choices so that you gain admission to study Russian.
Please read the Russian programme admission requirements below carefully. If you meet the required prerequisites you may proceed with your UTME/Direct Entry registration.
PLEASE NOTE: There are variations to the requirements listed below in some universities. In that case, it’s advisable you make references to the PDF version of JAMB Brochure.
List of Universities Offering Russian
- UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN, IBADAN, OYO STATE – IBADAN
- UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS, LAGOS STATE – LAGOS
- UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA, ENUGU STATE – UNN
UTME and Direct Entry Requirements to Study Russian
Direct Entry Requirement for Russian:
- Two (2) A Level passes including the Foreign Language(s) where applicable.
UTME Requirement for Russian:
- Five (5) SSC credit passes to include French, English Language and any three (3) other subjects.
UTME Subject combination for Russian:
- French and any two (2) other Arts/Social Science subjects.
NOTE: Kindly make references to JAMB Brochure for remarks/waiver for Russian.
That’s the much we can take on the topic “JAMB Subject Requirements for Russian Studies”.
Thanks For Visiting