The Doctorial studentship will provide full-time PhD student fees at the home/EU rate of £4,020 per annum and a bursary of £13,000 per annum (successful non-home/EU applicants will receive a full international fee remission of £12,000 per annum and a partial bursary of £5,020 per annum).
Founded on Catholic values, St Mary’s is an inclusive institution with a mission to provide students from all backgrounds and faiths with an excellent education. They have a welcoming community of around 6,000 students, almost 10% of whom are international, and a high level of support from our staff and student services, helping you to quickly feel at home.
Doctoral Studentships Latest Information
Course Level: Studentships are available for pursuing PhD program.
Study Subject: The studentships are awarded in Religion and Society (Theology, Economics, Politics, History, Sociology and related areas).
Potential areas include the social-scientific study of religion; theologically informed approaches to social, political, or economic topics; and empirically informed areas of pastoral/practical theology. We are particularly keen to receive applications relating to the Centre’s current research areas:
- Empirical investigations into the life and mission of the Catholic Church
- New evangelization
- Catholic Social Teaching and its relation to public policy and political economy
- Social-scientific study of atheism, secularity, nonreligion and related areas.
Scholarship Award: The studentship will provide full-time PhD student fees at the home/EU rate of £4,020 per annum and a bursary of £13,000 per annum (successful non-home/EU applicants will receive a full International fee remission of £12,000 per annum and a partial bursary of £5,020 per annum).
Eligibility for Doctoral Studentships
The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for these studentships:
Applicants should have a Master’s at Distinction level (or a Master’s with Merit and a Distinction in the dissertation) in a relevant discipline, as well as an established interest in the study of religion and society.
Nationality: UK, EU or International student are eligible to apply for this studentship program.
Doctoral Studentships Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have their previous degree.
English language Requirements: Acceptable English language qualifications are normally one of the following:
- IELTS (academic)
- Undergraduates: 6.0 overall with no less than 5.5 in any section
- Postgraduates: 6.5 overall with no less than 6.0 in any section
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)
- Undergraduates: 55 overall with no less than 51 in any section
- Postgraduates: 60 overall with no less than 51 in each section
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English grade C
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English grade C
- Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English
- ISE Level II With pass in all four components
*For the IELTS or PTE your test must not be more than two years old by 1st September in the year you intend to start your program.
How to Apply: To apply, please download and complete a Ph.D. application form and send it together with your 3,000-4,000 word research proposal, two academic references, copies of your Master’s qualification, a current CV, and a cover letter stating your desire to be considered for the studentship by post.